Tuesday, February 4, 2014

We Are 100 Days Smarter!

Sign made by FirstGradeBlueSkies

What an amazing 100th Day of School celebration we had in the classroom this week! Each of the students colored a banner flag and I decorated the window with every one of their awesome creations...


The students also loved making their own books about 100, which included... *I wish I had 100 ____*, *I can eat 100 ____*, *I can lift 100 ____*, and *I would not want 100 ____*. FUN! Next, I challenged the students to see how many words they could make out of the letters in "one hundred"... and let me tell you, my super smart first graders could give some Scrabble pros a run for their money! Here is the incredible list of words they were able to make...


After a morning filled with 100 days of school activities, I read, "One Hundred Hungry Ants" by Elinor J. Pinczes. This book is a great visual introduction to math as the ants travel in one row of 100, two rows of 50, 4 rows of 25, five rows of 20, and 10 rows of 10... but will they make it to the picnic before all the food is gone? You will have to ask your child how the story ended.


Last, but not least, we had a blast comparing our bags of 100 objects that each of the students brought from home. We got to see how heavy a bag of 100 pennies were compared to a bag of 100 popcorn kernels. We got to see how some bags had 100 objects that were the same size, shape, and color... like 100 Cheerios and 100 pennies - and we compared these to bags that had 100 beads, 100 crayons, 100 stickers, and 100 Legos that were different sizes, shapes, and colors. The students really enjoyed seeing all the creative objects that were brought in.

At the end of the day, each of the students received a 100 Days Smarter certificate to acknowledge all their handwork and accomplishments over the past 100 days of school!

Click here to visit my TpT to purchase this certificate






No comments:

Post a Comment

Click here to leave a comment